Immigration Lawyer free consultation

new york city skyline

My name is P. Winston Matthews. Welcome to my website. Are you looking to bring your fiancé to the United States or to sponsor your wife or husband for a green card?

I am a licensed attorney who started my law practice back in 1996. I was formerly a partner in the New York immigration law firm of Matthews & Schiff. My firm can help your fiancé or spouse get a K1 fiancé or marriage visa.

Our office is located in New York City, but because immigration law is a federal practice, we can help people with immigration matters who live anywhere in the U.S. or anywhere around the world.

We offer a half hour phone, skype, or zoom immigration consultation. There is no consultation fee . Call today to get started (347) 461-0760.

Why hire an immigration attorney to help you get a green card?

couple meeting with immigration lawyer

Get help from an experienced licensed attorney. My law firm has an “A+” rating from the Better Business Bureau, and I myself have the highest rating , “10- Superb” , from AVVO, the best known attorney rating service.

If you choose to retain my firm, I will handle your case personally, and will not hand it off to a paralegal , legal assistant, or junior attorney . Cients can call and speak directly with me 7 days a week.

We will always be completely honest with you. There will be no b.s. , no hidden charges and no “bait and switch”.

Unlike many immigration lawyers and law firms, we charge reasonable flat rate fees.

I am by nature a perfectionist, hence my firm is dedicated to your success.

Beware of “immigration consultants” or notarios

Immigration and nationality law is a huge field of law, and it can sometimes be very tricky and complicated,. Also, the rules change very often. There are only 2 types of immigration matters that we handle, marriage visas and fiancé visas, which makes it easier for us to keep current with any changes in the law and allows us to be more efficient, saving you money.

Non- lawyer immigration consultants are actually not allowed to give you any legal advice , They may tell you this in some very small print, usually at the bottom of their website.

They are also not subject to any special licensing requirements or special government oversight and can give you wrong information or even lie to you with little or no consequences.

An immigration attorney, on the other hand, like other lawyers, must invest 3 years of their life (involving long hours of intense study and passing a very comprehensive bar exam) and often hundreds of thousands of dollars to get their law licenses and have a huge stake in remaining in good standing .

If you want to get a green card for your spouse or fiancé there are several possible immigration options.

Green card through marriage

While green cards based on marriage to a US citizen are the quickest way to get permanent residence, at the same time, they are the most closely scrutinized type of family member immigration cases because of many fake and fraudulent marriages.

Therefore it makes sense to hire an immigration lawyer to avoid mistakes and delays and to make sure that you document the marriage bona fides as thoroughly as possible . An experienced immigration attorney can also counsel you on how prepare for the green card immigration interview, which is a very important part of the process.

The most difficult cases are those where the immigrant gets married only after a deportation case has been filed in court against him or her, or cases where the spouses, even though both are living in the U.S., are not living together.

On the other hand, as long as the immigrants’ entry into the U.S. has been pursuant to either inspection or parole, he or she can still potentially obtain their goal of permanent residence by marriage to a U.S. citizen even if the immigrant spouse’s visa has expired and he or she is out of status. These cases are more difficult, and require the help that only experienced immigration attorneys can provide.

An immigrant who gets a green card after marriage to a U.S. Citizen will have the opportunity to obtain citizenship with all of the rights of a U.S. citizen after only 3 years, instead of the usual 5 years.

K1 Fiancé Visas

smiling fiancee

A K1 visa allows a US citizen (but not a permanent resident) to bring his or her fiancé to this country (often with minor children) for a period of 90 days in order to get married. If the couple does not get married within the 90 days the fiancé has to leave, but if they do get married, the fiancé can stay if he or she files for adjustment of status , preferably before the fiancé visa runs out.

There are a few other requirements, for example, it is almost always required that the couple must have actually met in person at least one time in order to qualify for a fiancé visa.

The K1 visa provides a path for a couple who either wishes to get married in the United States or if they want to start living together as quickly as possible. However total filing costs may be greater with the K-1 visa.

It goes without saying that some US citizens are unwilling to commit to marrying someone without having had a chance to really get to know them first, so the 90 day period allows the U.S. citizen more time to make a more reasoned decision.

On the other hand, you may not want to wait to too long to start the next exciting chapter of your life!

young korean fiancee with bag packed

U.S. green card after marrying a permanent resident

A permanent resident (green card holder) can sponsor his or her spouse for their own green card. However because immigrants in this situation are not considered to be immediate relatives , they are subject to the waiting periods of other family petitions, because there are a limited number of visas available each year. Also, if the immigrant is living in the in the United States, he or she must have and maintain legal immigration status with a valid visa.

In all cases and situations the sponsor must almost always prove that he or she has the financial resources to support the immigrant spouse.

How does the free consultation work?

The free telephone or video consultation is intended to give you a chance to “meet” me, and for me to decide whether I think my firm can help you get your visa. You will also receive a preliminary case evaluation. In order to do this we will need some basic information both about you and your spouse or fiancé. During the interview we will be on the lookout for any red flags, pitfalls, or problems that may exist in your immigration situation.

The consultation is confidential and subject to the attorney/ client privilege. There will be no sales pitches or wild promises.

It is also a time when we will need you to be completely honest with us. The USCIS does, as part of the process ,do thorough background checks as to any prior immigration history, as well as criminal record checks.

If the information you put in the immigration documents is incorrect, or if you provide false information during the visa interview, the case may be denied, you may get “red flagged” in the INS system, if the immigrant is in the united states he or she can end up in immigration court, or even be deported, and either or both of you may even be subject to criminal liability.

How we work to get you your green card or fiancé visa

If you hire my firm we will do all the work on your application from start to finish for a flat rate, including preparing all of the necessary forms, them, including papers to obtain a work permit, filing them, and answering any questions you may have. However, you are responsible for providing any necessary information, and obtaining all the necessary documents, such as birth certificates, marriage licenses, income tax forms, etc.

We also prepare the affidavit of support. Because of ethical issues involving possible conflicts of interest, it is not considered to be a good idea for the attorney who represents the spouse or spouses to also prepare the affidavit of support for any co- sponsor (if required). However you will only need a co-sponsor if your income is below 125% of the federal poverty level.

If there is any problem that comes up during the immigration process, or if further documentation is requested, we will follow up to resolve any issue. Once again, you are responsible for obtaining and providing us with any further documents that may be required.

Have peace of mind during the green card process

We understand that, because of the stakes involved, this process may be stressful to you, and you may feel that the process takes a long time. Having an experienced immigration attorney deal with ISCIS will go a long way to making the visa or green card process more stress free.

Call today at (347) 461-0760 to get started.

P. Winston Matthews